Food always tastes better after a game of golf—and the country club is where an expert chef and his creative menu can elevate the overall experience by creating a haven for good food, great conversation and a lifetime of memories.
A country club’s menu plays a pivotal role in defining the club’s “attitude.” It should be a dignified blend of approachable fare with the chef's personal stamp. You should be able to quickly spot favorites in each category (appetizers, small plates, entrees, etc.). The menu should be easy to read and may incorporate high-end photography and descriptive verbiage to illustrate the restaurant’s appetizing imagery.
As far as the dishes on the menu itself, we believe these six key points are worthwhile when looking for the ultimate country club menu:
1. Seasonal ingredients: Crisp fruit and vegetables, local meats, cheeses, fresh fish and herbs are all critical elements to a menu. Farm-to-table is the most nutritious way to bring seasonal ingredients to the table and gives dishes an extra-flavorful kick.
2. Innovative dishes: In addition to our favorite standbys of burgers, wings and fries, incorporating innovation and artistry utilizing classic techniques with sauces, seasonings and basting methods will harbor a welcome touch of elegance to the dish.
3. Passionate presentation: A gifted chef finds passion in sharing his or her culinary expression with guests. A beautifully composed plate not only enhances a dish’s flavor, it also provides a visual wow factor.
4. Diet-specific choices: It’s important to include (or offer) creative selections for those with vegan, gluten and diabetic dietary requirements. Chefs should be cognizant of the importance of providing meals that step up the game with flavor and presentation and may want to include healthier options (under 500 calories) as well.
5. Brunch and happy hour options: A Sunday morning brunch at a country club should be on everyone's bucket list. Mimosas and bacon go together like a golf ball to a hole. Solid buffet tables and omelette and waffle stations make schmoozing with other members the only way to start your day. Happy hours are also a great way to provide the opportunity to check out the club’s bar menu of craft brew, wines and signature cocktails, as well as any specific bar menu options that might be offered.
6. Ambience: It's not technically on the menu, but shouldn't breathtaking golf course views, plush booths, an al fresco spot or two and stellar service be part of your search for the perfect country club experience? We say yes!
It's all here at Blue Bell Country Club.
Since its inception in 1994, Blue Bell Country Club has become well respected throughout the Philadelphia area for its 18-hole Arnold Palmer-designed golf course, driving range, pro shop, pro staff, swimming pool and Putter’s Grill restaurant.
Executive chef Drew Smalbach illustrates what a country club restaurant and menu should be with his ingenuity, artistry and impeccable work ethic. He’s lining up several specialized menus including a monthly prix fixe (that includes beef carpaccio, bacon-wrapped scallops and a strawberry shortstack) and continues to gain recognition for creating signature plates, including his mouthwatering hibachi chicken lettuce wraps.
Give us a call at (215) 616-8100 if you’d like to find out what a top-notch country club menu is all about.
Don't forget to check out our Facebook page, website and blog for information on the latest goings-on at Blue Bell Country Club.
Located just 25 minutes from Center City Philadelphia and situated in the heart of Blue Bell, Pa., Normandy Farm Hotel and Conference Center is more than a meticulously restored American landmark—it's a fully wired, high-tech hospitality venue. Relax on our grand terrace, sip a cocktail in America's oldest silo, play a challenging game of golf on our championship course, plan an event with us or dine on our delectable farm-to-table cuisine. It all adds up to One Historic Experience.